No more intro. I’ll just get to it.
What you’ll need:
- Sewing machine
- measuring tape
- black 1” garter
- black thread
- tailor’s chalk
- pen & paper
- Take your measurements. My skirt sits on the waist so I took the WAIST, HIPS, LENGTH. Remember that you’re folding in the garter so add 1 1/2” to the length and another 1” for your hemline. Add 1 inch to the HIPS for sewing allowance.
- Cut your cloth according to measurement, the width should be equivalent to your HIPS measurement + 1” sewing allowance.
- Cut your garter according to your waist measurement.
- Fold 1 1/2” of the top – this will be your waistband. The 1” garter should be able to fit flat inside. Mark you lines with tailor’s chalk and start sewing your waistband with a 1/2” seam allowance. Remember not to sew the garter to your waistband yet.
- Fold 1” opposite the waistband for your hem. Mark with tailor’s chalk and start sewing with a 1/2” seam allowance.
- Now you have your waist band and hemline. Fold your skirt inside out and prepare to sew the length of your skirt. Put the non-sewn ends together and mark 1/2” off to where you’ll be sewing. Make sure the shiny leatherette is inside. Sew from the hem to just near the waistband.
- Sew your garter together overlapping one each other at 1/2” with a zigzag pattern (this ensures that your elastic stays sewn together). Since the skirt’s width (hips) is larger than your waist, you’ll notice that the cloth is scrunching together along the garter.
- Sew the length of the skirt once again, this time from the hem all the way to the top of the waistband. Switch to the zigzag stitch when sewing over the garterized waistband.
Voila! Your own sexy leatherette skirt!
Are you tilting your head to the left? :)
Ah. Pardon the lack of step by step photos. I don’t have anyone with me while I’m doing my DIY and I get off track when I stop to take photos. I hope you sorta understand my tutorial. I don’t know much about sewing jargons.
Inspired to make your own? Send me a link to your version :) I’d love to see how yours turned out.